Neighbours who were forced to flee their homes have spoken of their shock after a huge blaze left a man and three firefighters in hospital.

More than 34 people were evacuated as 70 firefighters fought for almost three hours to tackle a fire, which completely destroyed a shop in Tottenham High Road, last night.

The man was taken to the Royal London Hospital to be treated for burns after firemen rescued him from the first floor of the burning building.

Two firefighters also needed hospital treatment after they suffered burns as they battled the blaze and a third was treated for a back injury.

Iydan Hasan lives in one of the flats above the convenience store, located near the junction with Ruskin Road, which was destroyed in the fire.

He said: “Around 10pm last night firefighters banged on our door and told me and my family to leave the house immediately.

“When we got outside we saw a huge fire in the shop. There was smoke everywhere – it was quite scary.

“I couldn’t believe it was happening. It took so long for them to get the fire under control and we were worried we would lose everything.”

Mr Hasan added that he and his family were forced to spend the night at a friend’s house and have still not been allowed back into their homes.

Firefighters at the scene told residents the building was not yet secure and there could be some damage to electrical cables and a gas main.

Another neighbour who was evacuated during the blaze said he has been left in limbo about the scale of the damage to his property.

He did not wish to be named but said: “Firefighers had to smash my windows to get into my flat but I haven’t been allowed in.

“I’m told that there is some smoke damage and I’m worried because I have some important documents in there.

“The firefighters told me no one had died and it's very lucky there were no casualties.”

Two of the firefighters who were hospitalised following the incident have since been discharged. One of their colleagues who suffered burns is still being treated for his injuries.

According to a spokesman for the London Fire Brigade, the injuries are not life threatening.

Station manager Paul Hobbs, who was in charge at the scene, said: “This was a serious fire and as well as the shop and flats it also involved a gas main.

“Crews worked extremely hard in very difficult conditions to bring the fire under control.”

The fire began at around 9.27pm and was under control by 12.15am.

Crews from Tottenham, Edmonton, Stoke Newington, Holloway, Hornsey, Walthamstow and other surrounding fire stations attended the incident.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.