Reggae music blared from speakers outside Tottenham Police Station as hundreds held a peaceful vigil for Mark Duggan.

Crowds took part in a protest against what his family branded a ‘perverse’ inquest verdict, after a jury ruled the 29-year-old was lawfully killed by police in 2011.

Hundreds of people held banners bearing the words ‘Justice for Mark Duggan’ and ‘No to Police Violence’.

His family and friends held a minutes silence in his memory, before vowing to “continue fighting for answers”.

His aunt, Carole Duggan, said: “There is no justice in this country. The more people come together and support each other, we can make a better life for our children.

“They have to live in communities that are over policed, they are not free. They don’t have the same freedom as other children in other parts of the country. That’s not fair.

“Mark isn’t here, so we have to do this for our children, and for his children.”

Protestors cheered her on as she continued: “We are not this gangster family that the media has been portraying us as. We are just an ordinary family. Outside bodies are trying to smear us.

“For as long as it takes, we will keep coming out here to protect the community. We are in it for the long haul.”

Her words were met with chants of “666 is the mark of the beast, turn it around and you get the police”, and "no justice, no peace".

She also called for a new Independent Police Complaints Commission investigation into his death, and vowed to appeal the decision at the High Court.

“He did not get the justice he deserved at the inquest. We want a High Court judge to tell us the jury were confused ”, she told the crowds.

Mr Duggan was shot dead by an armed police officer in Ferry Lane, Tottenham, on August 4, 2011, after the minicab he was travelling in was stopped as part of a police operation to tackle gun crime.

His death sparked then riots across the country.

Haringey MP David Lammy was invited to take part in the vigil - but crowds reacted furiously after being told he did not attend.

Mark’s friend, Jennifer, said: “Mark is shining down on us. We know he has faced many slurs. But we know he is loved, he is a being.

“This vigil is by no means an end, it's a beginning and we will drive this through.”

Scotland Yard warned some protestors planned to “provoke disorder” and extra officers were on standby.

The vigil ended at around 4pm, when doves were released into the sky to honour those who have died in police custody or after police contact.