A man has been sentenced to ten years behind bars for causing the death of his two passengers while he was driving.

Karl Aaron Maddix, 31, of no fixed address, was sentenced yesterday at Wood Green Crown Court for causing the deaths of Islington men Gregory Jones, 38, and Shaka Henry, 33, in a crash in Seven Sisters Road, south Tottenham last March.

He had previously pleaded guilty at the same court on February 3 to causing their deaths by dangerous driving.

Two further counts of causing death while uninsured and two counts of causing death while driving without a licence were allowed to lie on file.

In addition to the prison sentence, Maddix was banned from driving for 12 years.

The court heard that shortly before 2am on Friday, March 29, 2013, Islington officers on a routine patrol in a marked police vehicle became suspicious of an Audi A3.

The vehicle appeared to make off at speed when they passed it going in the opposite direction.

The Audi went through three red lights befre it clipped a white van and crashed into a bridge in Seven Sisters Road, near to the junction with St Ann's Road, South Tottenham.

Two male passengers in the Audi were fatally injured and despite officers giving CPR prior to the arrival of ambulances, both were pronounced dead at the scene.

Post-mortems at Haringey Mortuary gave cause of death for Mr Henry as multiple head and chest trauma and for Mr Jones as multiple chest trauma.

The driver of the white van was taken to hospital suffering minor injuries.

Maddix did not have permission to drive the car, holding only an expired provisional driving licence, had no insurance, was on licence from prison and had previously been banned from driving.

At the time of arrest, he was in possession of class A drugs and there was stolen property in the vehicle.

Maddix drove the Audi at speed in areas where there were pedestrians and other vehicles on the road.

He went through a speed camera at 57 mph on a 30 mph road, having braked heavily beforehand.

Officers estimated that prior to the collision, the Audi was being driven by Maddix at over 100 mph.

Detective Sergeant Cheryl Frost from the MPS Road Death Investigation Unit said: "Maddix had no licence, he was uninsured and did not have permission to drive the car.

"He drove dangerously at extremely high speeds in urban areas endangering other road users. Ultimately his reckless actions caused the death of two young men."