Paramedics fought for more than an hour trying to save the life of a man who suffered fatal head injuries when he fell from the window of his first-floor flat this morning.

The middle aged man was pronounced dead at the scene at 11am after medics had worked frantically to revive him on the pavement outside Hosh beauty salon, in Station Road, Wood Green.

Staff at the salon were first on the scene after the 30-foot fall shortly before 10am.

Beautician Alev Okur, who said she regularly said hello to the resident of the upstairs flat, immediately dialled 999 before rushing out to help.

An emergency operator told the 28-year-old to keep the man’s mouth open and roll him on to his back, but she said it was clear he had suffered serious injuries.

When paramedics arrived, they used an oxygen pump to keep him breathing but, despite working on him for almost 70 minutes, they were unable to save his life.

Ms Okur said: “We were all in shock. I just saw him hit the floor out of the corner of my eye - there was blood everywhere. It still hasn’t hit me properly yet.

“He was very friendly, I would often say hello to him. I saw him yesterday morning and he asked me what sort of shop this was. You could tell he had a few issues – he never showed any emotion on his face – but he always said hello.”

The high street was busy at the time of the incident and several passers-by also stopped to help.

Staff from the salon also brought out a cushion, which remained on the blood-stained pavement behind the police cordon this afternoon.

It is understood the man had lived in the flat above the shops for at least the past four years.

Police say they are not treating his death as suspicious and officers are working to inform his next of kin while the case is being passed to the coroner.

A white tent remained at the scene at 1pm this afternoon and the front entrance to Hosh salon was sealed off, though the shop remained open and customers were able to use the back entrance.

Baran Okur, who also works at the salon, said: “It is sad because I’ve seen him walking up and down this road. Everyone is very upset about it – there is just a feeling of shock in the salon.”

London Ambulance Service said it sent two single responders in cars, an ambulance crew, a duty officer and London's Air Ambulance to the scene.

A spokesman said: “Sadly, a man reported to be in his 40s was pronounced dead at the scene by the doctor from the air ambulance.”