Don't wash your chicken before it is cooked, Haringey Council is telling diners this week.

As part of Food Safety Week, the council’s environmental health team is showing residents how to avoid the bacteria campylobacter, which is responsible for more than 50 per cent of the food poisoning in Haringey.

Campylobacter, found in raw chicken, is easily spread onto other food, skin and equipment when washing the meat uncooked, and can lead to serious illness.

Washing used utensils thoroughly and making sure the meat is steaming hot all the way through before serving will protect against it spreading.