Haringey Borough were knocked out of the London Senior Cup in the fourth round on penalties at Wingate & Finchley on Tuesday.

Boro drew 1-1 at Wingate but suffered defeat after losing 4-3 in the shoot-out.

Despite not having played a game since the middle of December the visitors did not look rusty.

By the interval, a neutral would have been hard-pressed to decide which was from the Ryman Premier and which was the South Midlands Premier club.

Leon Smith had driven a low cross shot against a Boro post but the away side made plenty of chances through the lively running of Dean Fenton and debutant Deniz Mehmet. Darrell Cox was off-target with two half chances but Fenton’s ferocious 25-yard free-kick from the left was the nearest Haringey came to scoring as it whistled inches past the far post.

The Boro defence coped admirably with the home attacks, especially down the left wing. Erbil Bozkurt dealt confidently with everything on target and Lewis Laws made a particularly vital last ditch interception when a goal seemed certain.

Play continued evenly after the interval but a rare defensive lapse allowed Wingate a half chance which Smith smashed home after 58 minutes. But two minutes later Haringey were back on level terms when a fine swerving low shot from the edge of the area by Fenton nestled just inside the left-hand post.

Boro were quickly reduced to ten men when Rickelle Christian, already booked for a foul, foolishly kicked the ball away after a free-kick had been awarded. The visitors had to survive late pressure from Wingate who wasted several decent opportunites.

But Haringey held out and the match went straight to penalties with no extra time in the competition.

The shootout started badly with Cox’s effort saved but Wingate responded by firing their first spot kick over the bar.

However there was only one more miss and crucially Joe O’Cearuill’s final effort crashed against a post to send the home side into the next round.

Boro’s next match is a week on Saturday at Colney Heath.