Tottenham gave White Hart Lane the perfect send off as they put in a vintage display to beat Manchester United in the final game at their historic ground.

Spurs dominated the 19-time English champions for most of the contest, played out in a party atmosphere at the stadium which has been the club’s home since 1899.

The 30,000-odd fans able to get a ticket for the occasion were in dreamland after when Victor Wanyama put the home side ahead in the opening minutes before Harry Kane added a second after the break.

Wayne Rooney’s goal against the run of play with 20 minutes remaining proved for a nervy closing period, but Spurs hung on to say goodbye to The Lane with a win.

The fixture could have presented something of a banana skin for Mauricio Pochettino’s side, with United one of only four teams to beat Tottenham in the Premier League this season.

However, Spurs have turned The Lane into a fortress in its final season, unbeaten at home all season, winning 16 and drawing just two in the league.

At kick-off the old stadium was, unsurprisingly, as loud as it has been all season, but the volume was cranked up even further when Wanyama opened the scoring after just five minutes.

Ben Davies whipped in a fine ball from the left and the Kenyan hung in the air for what seems like an eternity in order to steer his header past David De Gea in the United net.

However, the visitors were out to spoil the celebrations and almost levelled on the 18-minute mark when Spurs were caught napping.

The home side reacted slowly to a United free kick on the half way line, as Rooney slid Anthony Martial in behind, before the Frenchman curled his shot narrowly wide.

The momentum soon switched back in Tottenham’s favour and Kane rattled the crossbar with a headed effort from a Christian Eriksen cross after 22 minutes.

The two would combine again after the break for Spurs’ second of the afternoon, when Dele Alli coaxed Chris Smalling to bring him down on the edge of the box with a spot of trademark trickery.

The resulting set piece, swung in by Eriksen, was poked home by Kane to send the Spurs fans into raptures.

The Tottenham supporters had pulled out almost every song in their repertoire during the first 70 minutes of the game, but the atmosphere in the ground changed drastically when United pulled one back through Rooney with their first genuine chance of the match.

Martial was able to beat Kieran Tripper before delivering a dangerous ball into the six yard box, with the England captain arriving at the near post to tap in and set up a nail-biting last 20 minutes.

Groans erupted from the crowd as fourth official Lee Mason signalled five minutes of stoppage time would be added on and hearts were in mouths as sub Marcus Rashford fired over the bar after latching onto a ball over the top.

However, Tottenahm hung on to record a win which secures a second-place finish, the club’s highest in the Premier League era, although picking up a win today seemed much more important than that.

Tottenham now finish off what has been an productive campaign with away games at Leicester on Thursday night before they travel to Hull on the final day of the season next Sunday.


Tottenham: Lloris, Trippier (Walker, 83), Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier, Wanyama, Eriksen (Nkoudou, 90+1), Son (Dembele, 72), Alli, Kane

Unused subs: Vorm, Wimmer, Sissoko, Janssen

Man United: De Gea, Tuanzebe (Herrera, 61), Bailly, Jones, Smalling, Blind, Carrick, Rooney, Mata (Rashford, 79), Lingard (Mkhitaryan, 61), Martial

Unused subs: Romero, Darmian, McTominay, Mitchell