Most cases of food poisoning happen when cooking at home, according to Haringey Borough Council.

The authority’s food safety teams, part of the Food Standards Agency, investigated 210 complaints of food poisoning but found no evidence to link them to eating out.

This suggested that most incidents were a result of poor food hygiene while cooking at home.

According to council figures, 40 per cent of the cases were caused by Campylobacter - a bacterium commonly found in raw or undercooked meat, especially poultry, unpasteurised milk, untreated water and domestic pets with diarrhoea.

That type of bacteria is the most common cause of food poisoning in Britain.

The council have launched a campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of poor food hygiene as part of Food Safety Week running from June 10 to 16.

Food safety teams quizzed people outside Wood Green Library yesterday to test their knowledge.

Councillor Nilgun Canver, cabinet member for the environment, said the council cannot protect people in their own home so they need to be more careful.

She said: “Haringey Council officers regularly inspect food businesses to ensure that they are using good hygiene practices, but we also need residents to be careful in their own homes.

"This quiz will help remind everyone of the importance of maintaining standards when cooking and storing food at home, especially during the barbecue season when it's especially important to make sure meat is cooked right through."