A man was rushed to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after being caught up in a fire caused by sunlight refracting off a mirror.

The fire broke out at around 8.40am on Sunday, August 5, at a house in Kendal Avenue, Edmonton.

The man escaped the burning building before firefighters arrived and was treated by London Ambulance Service crews and taken to hospital.

Most of the roof and half of the first floor of the semi-detached house were damaged.

Eight fire engines and around 60 firefighters from Edmonton, Enfield, Tottenham, Hornsey and surrounding fire stations attended and the fire was under control at around 10.10am.

The London Fire Brigade has issued a safety warning in the wake of the fire.

A spokesman said: “The sun is especially strong at the moment but fires caused by refracted sunlight can happen all year round and are actually quite common.

"Our advice is to make sure that you keep mirrors, crystals, glass ornaments and other reflective items out of direct sunlight at all times.”