A woman who caused a sonic boom when she tried to open a plane door whilst intoxicated has been sentenced to two years in prison.

Chloe Haines, 26, of Station Road, Loudwater, Berkshire, was a passenger on a Jet2 flight to Dalaman, Turkey, when it was redirected to Stansted Airport on the evening of Saturday 22 June, 2019.

Ms Haines became verbally abusive to passengers and members of staff on board the aircraft and yelled "I'm going to kill you all.”

Two RAF fighter jets rushed to escort the plane back to Stansted Airport, causing a sonic boom across Epping Forest, Harlow, Chelmsford, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire.

Essex Police also reported that they had received 202 phone calls from across the county in one hour following the explosive sound at around 6.40pm.

The 26 year-year-old, who was already awarded a £85,000 fine and a lifetime ban from Jet2, admitted to two charges.

She pleaded guilty to endangering the safety of a passenger plane and assault by beating at Chelmsford Crown Court today (Wednesday, February 12).

Tottenham Independent:

Chloe Haines was also given a lifetime ban from et2 and a £85,000 fine

Haines later said she "blacked out and didn't really remember what happened" after mixing alcohol with medication, said prosecutor Michael Crimp.

Cabin crew member Charley Coombe suffered scratches as she tried to prevent Haines from opening the plane door.

Judge Charles Gratwicke, said: "Those that are trapped in the confined space of the aircraft will inevitably be distressed, frightened and petrified by the actions of those who in a drunken state endanger their lives.

"For some it will be their worst nightmare come true."

Haines, dressed in a white shirt and black top, with her blonde hair in a ponytail, sobbed through much of the hearing.

Haines' barrister Oliver Saxby QC described her as "a troubled young person with a number of serious issues".

She had been given a community order for similar offences involving alcohol and a loss of control 17 days before the incident, the court heard.

Mr Saxby said she had been diagnosed with mental ill health and had not touched alcohol since June 22.

"She wasn't just drunk, she was unwell," he said, adding that she felt "appalled".

"She's ashamed," he said. "She's deeply embarrassed by what she did".

Chief Inspector Lee Devall, Stansted Airport’s deputy commander, said: “This was a terrifying incident which left an entire plane, including experienced cabin crew members, in fear for their safety.

“If Haines had managed to open the door, there’s no telling what might have happened to those on board. The cabin crew put their lives at risk to prevent the door from being opened, even though they were incredibly frightened. They showed immense bravery and should be commended.

“We will not tolerate dangerous or disruptive passengers.”