Police are continuing investigations after a car rammed into Edmonton Police Station.

Officers were called to the incident outside the building on Fore Street at around 6.58pm on Wednesday (November 11).

A 45-year-old white man is believed to have left the car before attempting to set fire to it using petrol.

He was apprehended and arrested by officers on suspicion of arson and a number of other offences. He remains in custody at a north London police station.

The latest police update this morning confirms that the incident is not being treated as terror related and the car is being examined by specialist officers at the scene.

While London Ambulance Service and the fire brigade also attended, no injuries were reported.

Officers have been able to return to the building and nearby residents, who were evacuated as a precaution, have been allowed home.

Tottenham Independent:

Forensic Officers were at the scene (Photo: PA)

Commander Ade Adelekan said: “This appears to have been an isolated incident and does not seem to be terror-related. I am satisfied that there is no wider risk to the community.

"Local officers will continue to carry out enquiries, but at this stage we are not looking for anybody else.

“I would like to thank the public for their response to the incident and would urge anyone with information about what happened to contact police.

"I also acknowledge the brave actions of local officers who confronted and arrested the suspect in a dangerous and challenging situation".

Read more:

Footage online showed a man leaving the car and pouring a substance onto the road from a container, as onlookers watch on in horror.

Standing in front of a double-decker bus, he then set the liquid on fire.

Tottenham Independent:

A video grab during the arrest (Photo: Ogur Mazlum/PA)

Witnesses can be heard shouting as a police car pulls up and officers run out to tackle the man at a bus stop metres away.

Another police officer appears to use a fire extinguisher to put out the flames on the road.

Store manager Ogur Mazlum, 34, works nearby and witnessed the moment the car crashed into the police station.

Speaking on behalf of Mr Mazlum, who speaks limited English, his wife Serife Mazlum, 32, told the PA news agency: “He literally just walked out (of his shop) to just call me and see if everything’s OK at home.

“Then he said I have to shut the phone quickly.

“That was when the car crashed into the front of the police station.”

Anyone who has images or video that could assist police with their investigation is asked to upload them to ukpoliceimageappeal.co.uk.