A faulty electric bike battery set fire to a flat above a shop in Tottenham.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to the fire in Tottenham High Road at 6.53pm on May 2.

Most of a flat on the first floor of the two-storey building was damaged by the fire.

Two people who escaped the building before the brigade arrived were treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service crews.

Investigators believe the fire was accidental and caused by the failure of lithium-ion batteries for an electric bike.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "The occupier was alerted to the fire when there was a pop and smoke poured out of an electric bike battery pack that was being charged.

"Batteries can present a fire risk if they're over-charged, short circuited, submerged in water or damaged, so it's really important to protect them against being damaged and charge them safely.

"Unplug devices once they have finished charging and make sure you use the right charger for your device."

The fire was under control by 7.56pm.