FEUDING gang members from Tottenham and Edmonton have been jailed for their role in a bloody street battle sparked by a row in a nightclub.

The two rounds of sentencing took place at Wood Green Crown Court, in Lordship Lane, on Monday and Tuesday.

It was the final chapter in a complex investigation and trial owing to the huge amount of people involved and the hostility between the two groups who live in neighbouring wards.

The violent clash took place in Edmonton at around 7am on Sunday, November 11, 2007, following a "long and bitter enmity" between NPK, whose members all live in Northumberland Park, Tottenham, and the Edmonton Shankstarz, named after the street word for knife, shank.

Prosecutor Quinn Hawkins told the court that earlier on the morning of the clash, NPK associate Yanick Mayavova, 21, was allegedly attacked with a champagne bottle at Club 19 in Forest Gate, east London, by members of the Edmonton gang.

This fuelled NPK to plot a revenge attack, he said.

The court heard that a three-car convoy of NPK associates drove to a home in Edmonton, which they knew was the home of brothers Aidan and Liam Palmer, who lived with their grandparents.

The plan was to ambush the Shankstarz members when they returned.

But the Tottenham gang was spotted by lookouts and the two groups ended up in a violent clash, which witnesses said involved up to 20 black youths attacking each other with wood, bricks, metal poles and knives in and around Hertford Road.

Aidan and Liam Palmer claimed their grandparents' house had been attacked by bricks on two previous occasions and now have a panic button installed.

Liam Palmer, 19, was handed an eight-year prison term when he was sentenced on Friday, May 15, 2008.

He pleaded guilty to violent disorder and was also found guilty of wounding with intent and conspiracy to commit violent disorder.

In an interview with police, Aidan Palmer said: "What it boils down to is Edmonton and Tottenham. This war just carries on."

He added that he was not involved "this time" and said it was his younger brother's generation involved in the violence.

Yesterdat Judge Witold Pawlak handed NPK members Jermaine Lewis-Barnes, 21, Mikel Dixon, 19, Nathan Mason, 24, Tion Miller, 19, and Richie Nkundo, 19, sentences of 22 months each, for conspiracy to commit violent disorder.

Miller was given an additional four months for attacking one of the Shankstarz as the verdicts were read out.

Rodney Brew, 19, was given 300 hours of community service, a two-year supervision order and a curfew.

The court heard how the three NPK members - Dixon, Lewis-Barnes and Brew - were ambushed while sitting in Lewis-Barnes' silver Renault Megane, which wouldn't start.

Up to 15 members of the Edmonton gang battered its windows with wooden bats to get those inside.

Dixon was stabbed more than seven times and had wounds to his mouth, tongue, chest, both his thighs and his arms. He was airlifted to the Royal London Hospital but claimed he could not remember anything that had happened.

Nathan Mason, 24, was rushed to North Middlesex by his friends in critical condition having received a stab wound to the chest that pierced his heart. He remained in intensive care for five days and was discharged on November 21.

The trial heard how a song penned by Liam Palmer containing hate-filled lyrics, threats of violence and admissions that he stabbed Dixon was published on a website.

In it there were many references to NPK and the colour purple which is believed to be the gang's trademark.

It emerged in court that Dixon and Palmer had been friends as children and had played football together.

New legislation assuring witness anonymity was used to secure evidence from six vital witnesses who police said had been too afraid of reprisals to appear in court which helped to secure the convictions.

Forensic investigators were also able to place defendants at the scene by matching their DNA profiles to the pool of blood found at the scene.

CCTV footage and telephone records were also used to help the prosecution piece together what happened on the evening of the street battle.

On Monday, Shankstarz members Karl Christian-Law, 20, Jerome Bruce De Roche, 21, Aiden Palmer, 22, were handed 22 months for violent disorder.

Richard Mensah, 21, and Ryan Gregorie, 22, were ordered to carry out 300 hours of community service and given a two-year supervision order.

Brett Christian-Law, 22-year-old from Edmonton, was cleared of all charges.