A SENIOR doctor who claimed Baby P could have been saved if her warnings had been heeded is suing the NHS for compensation, it has been revealed.

Dr Kim Holt raised concerns about the child development clinic at St Ann's Hospital in Tottenham, north London, where the little boy was seen just two days before his death in 2007.

The consultant paediatrician and three colleagues warned in 2006 that the clinic - run by Haringey Primary Care Trust but with doctors employed by Great Ormond Street Hospital Trust - was understaffed and had a "chaotic" appointment system which was a risk to patients.

Dr Holt alleges she was forced out of her job and suffered a nervous breakdown, and is seeking up to £100,000 in a personal injury claim against Great Ormond Street, The Times reported.

Baby P, now named as Peter Connolly, was just 17 months old when he died in a blood-spattered cot in Tottenham, north London, on August 3 2007. He had suffered more than 50 injuries despite being on the at-risk register and receiving 60 visits from social workers, police and health professionals over eight months.

A locum doctor at the St Ann's child development clinic allegedly failed to spot that he was suffering abuse when she examined him two days before his horrific death.

Great Ormond Street Hospital said in a statement: "As a result of issues raised by Dr Holt, the trust conducted an internal independent investigation, which was then followed by an external independent investigation by NHS London.

"The latter reported in December 2009 and concluded that Dr Holt's concerns in 2006 were taken seriously, that she was not targeted for raising those concerns, and that Great Ormond Street Hospital should organise further workplace mediation to enable Dr Holt if possible to return to her original role."

Meanwhile, two social workers sacked over the Baby P tragedy have taken their former employer to an employment tribunal. Gillie Christou and Maria Ward claim they were unfairly dismissed by Haringey Council following public outcry about the little boy's death.

The local authority insists it followed proper procedures when it dismissed the pair for "gross misconduct" in April last year. The opening day of their hearing at Watford Employment Tribunal in Hertfordshire was given over to legal arguments before being adjourned until 12pm on Tuesday.