Enfield Town are getting ever closer to ensuring a play-off spot and achieving the goal they set at the start of the season after beating Corinthian Casuals 2-1.

It may be a cliché but at the business end of the campaign it’s not necessarily about being pretty, rather about racking up the points, no matter how you get them.

So it was on Saturday when Enfield should probably have killed the game when leading reasonably comfortably. But no team in the division lies down and Casuals were no different, running their hosts close just as they have done with other leading contenders in the Isthmian Premier Division.

With Folkestone well beaten at home, Town are now in third spot. The top five seem to be pulling away, but there is no room for complacency with seven games remaining.

Against opponents missing no fewer than eight players, Enfield were unchanged from the win against Hornchurch and got off to the perfect start with a strong wind behind them as Adam Cunnington converted with a sweet volley from Lewis Taaffe’s fourth-minute corner.

Little in the way of goalmouth action then happened until the home side doubled their lead when Sam Youngs was brought down inside the box and Mo Faal sent the keeper the wrong way from the spot.

Youngs narrowly missed the target with a neat shot and turn while Manny Maja fired over as Town went into the break 2-0 up and seemingly in control, although Casuals had started to have more of the ball.

At the start of the second period Faal broke clear down the left, only for keeper Daniel Bracken to grab the ball off his feet. However, their opponents, now playing with the wind, were suddenly a different proposition, showing more purpose and intent.

A deep free-kick into the box almost caught the home side napping at the far post before Lee Chappell stooped low to clear the next effort off the line. But it was third time lucky for the visitors as Scott Thomas bundled over Misha Djamili and Kieron Cadogan drilled the penalty into the corner to halve the deficit.

Just as momentum switched and Enfield had difficulty clearing their lines, Town had a glorious opportunity to restore their two-goal advantage with eight minutes to go.

But in a game of three spot-kicks, this one was missed as Faal drove his shot wide after being hauled down by Bracken as he raced through on goal.

It could have proved costly but Town held on to grind out a third straight win.

“I was pleased with the first half and how we set about them,” said boss Andy Leese. “No matter who you play, the opposition are always going to have a spell. I’m not pointing the finger at Mo but the second penalty could have been a lifesaver and would have put the game to bed.

“There are no easy games in this league. Nearly everyone has got something to play for. The conditions meant it wasn’t going to be a pretty game – we’ll take the points and move on to Tuesday against Leatherhead.”