The death of Mark Duggan, which sparked the London riots in 2011, has been ruled lawful by an 8-2 majority by a jury this afternoon.

The conclusion comes after a 12 week inquest and about seven days of deliberation, which restarted yesterday following a break over the Christmas and New Year period.

Mr Duggan was shot dead by an armed police officer in Ferry Lane, Tottenham, on August 4, 2011, after the minicab he was travelling in was stopped as part of a police operation to tackle gun crime.

The officer who shot him claimed he opened fire in self-defence when he saw Mr Duggan point a gun at him.

However, when the police searched Mr Duggan's body they found no gun.

A gun, wrapped in a dark sock, was later recovered between 10ft and 20ft away in a grass area behind a wall.

Mr Duggan's death sparked riots in Tottenham which later spread across the country.

When the jury retired to consider their verdict on December 11, the coroner asked jurors to consider five key questions before making their conclusions.

Here are their conclusions: 

• The jury unanimously found that the Metropolitan Police Service and Serious Organised Crime Agency did not do enough to gather and react to intelligence about the possibility of Mark Duggan collecting a gun.

• The jury unanimously agreed that the stop was conducted in a location and in a way so as to minimise recourse to lethal force.

• The jury unanimously agreed  that Mr Duggan had the gun with him in the taxi immediately before the stop.

• A majority of 9-1 jurors concluded that Mr Duggan threw the gun into the grass area where it was later found.

• The jury found by an 8-2 majority that when Mr Duggan received the fatal shot, he did not have the gun in his hand.

During the inquest, which has been going since September, it has been revealed that only two of around 15 officers who were at the scene at the time of the shooting claim to have seen Mr Duggan holding a gun.

There has also been conflicting evidence about how the gun ended up in the grassy area, with some witnesses claiming to have seen police plant the weapon.

The jury also heard that there was some confusion about how the crime scene was managed after the shooting, including different officers claiming to have found the gun carried by Mr Duggan at different times.

Jurors were asked return with one of three verdicts – lawful killing, unlawful killing and an open conclusion. They opted for an open conclusion.