Mark Duggan’s aunt has said his family is still seeking justice after a jury ruled that the 29-year-old's shooting by police was lawful.

Carole Duggan gave a speech outside Tottenham Police Station, in High Road, Tottenham, following the verdict given at the Royal Courts of Justice this afternoon.

Mr Duggan was shot dead by an armed police officer in Ferry Lane, Tottenham, on August 4, 2011, after the minicab he was travelling in was stopped as part of a police operation to tackle gun crime.

Today the jury in the inquest into his death ruled he had been killed lawfully by an 8-2 majority, despite also deciding he was unarmed when the officer fired the fatal shot.

The 29-year-old’s aunt and around 30 of Mr Duggan’s family gathered to express their anger at the decision.

Mrs Duggan said: “We were expecting a verdict of unlawful killing and what we want is justice.

“I see Mark’s verdict as a punishment to his family, his friends and all the residents of Tottenham.”

The conclusion came after a 12-week inquest and around seven days of deliberation, which restarted yesterday following a break over the Christmas and New Year period.

She added: “The taxi driver [who drove the minicab] said he saw mad and angry men.

“They were not acting like police officers who were protecting their community – they were enforcers.

“They were enforcers who enforced their law on my nephew to send a message through Tottenham to say we are coming for you.”

There was an increased police presence in the area tonight, with reports that riot police were on standby in case there was any violence.

The crowd screamed and shouted “murderers” at officers as Mrs Duggan spoke and called the police “the biggest gang in London”.

Carole Duggan said: “Every young man in Tottenham is in fear of the police and it is wrong.

“All of us women have had to come out here today to protect our boys regardless of their colour and where they have come from, because the police cannot drag us women in there and beat us but they can to our sons. That is exactly what they are doing and it has got to stop.”

The 29-year-old’s aunt called on the police to explain themselves and said the crowd were peaceful but still wanted justice.

After the speech, tensions flared when journalists tried to speak to Mr Duggan’s family and friends with reports of one reporter being assaulted and others threatened with violence.

Borough commander Chief Supt Victor Olisa stood outside Tottenham Police Station and offered to speak to the 29-year-old’s family, but they refused.

When asked about inquest’s verdict, he said: “We have a system that operates and we trust the jury system and they have made their decision.

He added: “My sympathies are with the family and I am here to speak to members of the community if they want to talk.”

The Metropolitan Police has offered to meet with Mr Duggan's family to express its sympathy following the conclusion of the inquest into his death. 

Since the verdict was given the family has said it will challenge the inquest’s verdict and will seek a judicial review.