An Enfield man drove a car into the front door an Edmonton Police Station before trying to set it on fire.

Adam Pawlowski, of Bury Street, mounted the pavement and ploughed into the building at full speed before revving the engine to fill the office with smoke.

The 46-year-old then got out the car with a petrol canister, threw some into the office and doused the car and pavement outside.

Pawlowski then lit the petrol and a large line of fire began to light towards his vehicle and the office.



Footage of the chaos in November last year shows a police car rapidly pull up and block the petrol line to the car, as a member of the public hauls Pawlowski to the floor.

He was then arrested and taken into custody – where he admitted he had planned the incident for two-and-a-half years, choosing the date and time because numbers one and seven are significant to him.

It was established that Pawlowski held a grudge against police following previous interactions, one of which included his car being stolen and never found after a police investigation.

During sentencing the judge commented on the “shock, disbelief and fear which unfolded” and praised officers for their speedy response.

Pawlowski was sentenced yesterday (Thursday) to an indefinite hospital order, was disqualified from driving for 12 months and needs to take an extended vehicle test.

Tottenham Independent: Adam Pawlowski, of Bury Street, Enfield. Picture: Met Police.Adam Pawlowski, of Bury Street, Enfield. Picture: Met Police.

Chief Superintendent Simon Crick, head of policing for Haringey and Enfield, said: "When shown parts of the footage during police interview Pawlowski laughed, but the actions he took that day could have had devastating consequences.

“The officers who responded were confronted with a chaotic and frightening scenario but acted with the utmost courage and bravery to swiftly detain Pawlowski.

“Following the incident support was provided to the staff who man our front counter, who were going about their work when this distressing ordeal unfolded. Very luckily, no one was injured.

“The member of the public who helped apprehend Pawlowski left the scene and was never traced, despite extensive efforts. I’d like to extend our thanks to them for their bravery in assisting my officers.”