One person had to be rescued by firefighters in the early hours of this morning after a cooking mishap caused a Tottenham flat fire.

London Fire Brigade was called at 2.58am today (March 28) to the blaze in a third-floor flat in Morpeth Walk.

Firefighters used breathing apparatus to stage the rescue, and one person was subsequently treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service crews.

The fire was under control by 3.25am. It is believed the blaze was accidental and involved cooking.

A London Fire Brigade (LFB) spokesperson said: "Fires are more likely to start in the kitchen than any other room in the home.

"This incident is a timely reminder to make sure you never leave cooking unattended. If you do have to leave the room, turn off the heat."

Three fire engines and around 15 firefighters from Tottenham and Edmonton fire stations attended the scene earlier this morning.

LFB advice on how to prevent cooking fires

  • Avoid leaving cooking unattended
  • Don't cook if you are tired, have been drinking alcohol or taking medication that might make you drowsy
  • Take care not to lean over hot hobs and keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob
  • Be careful to keep the oven, hob, cooker hood and grill clean to avoid a build-up of fat and grease, which could ignite and cause a fire
  • Double check the cooker and hob are turned off when you've finished cooking
  • Supervise children and pets in the kitchen at all times and keep matches and saucepan handles out of reach