Five gang members have been jailed for the revenge murder of a man who was gunned down in the street.

Sharmake Mohamud, 22, was killed in the shooting in Green Lanes on the evening of September 21, 2021.

He died at the scene of the attack, after suffering eight gunshot wounds to the chest, arms and bicep from up to four bullets.

The driver of a passing moped, Newton Junior, 40, and pedestrian Arber Dervishi, 26, were also hit by bullets but survived.

The Old Bailey was told Sharmake was associated with a Turnpike Lane gang and had been the intended target.

Speaking during the trial, Sharmake’s mum, Bilan, said that “gang rivalries need to stop”.

CCTV footage captured the five attackers embracing in apparent celebration after the murder.

Gunman and ringleader, Ali Ceesay, 29, of no fixed address, was jailed for life yesterday (June 9) with a minimum term of 35 years and 275 days.

His “spotter” Abdul Mohamed, 25, Tottenhall Road, and Mehdi Younes, 22, of Bowes Road, were jailed for life with minimum terms of 34 years and 31 years respectively for their roles.

Younger recruits Jaymar Creary and Joyce Manzenza, both now aged 18, from Waltham Forest, were each detained for at least 22 years.

Sentencing, Judge Simon Mayo KC said it was a carefully planned and pre-meditated “tit-for-tat” revenge attack which was “all the more serious” because it took place in public.

In a statement read to the court, Sharmake’s mum said: “No mother should have to bury their child first. It should always be the other way round.

“Where is the basic human emotion and empathy? These gang rivalries need to stop.”

His father, Ali, said: “September 22 2021 will be a day that I will never forget. My son whom I watched for 22 years left this world. His time was over. These were the worst moments of my life.”

Previously, the court had heard how Ceesay had launched the gun attack after he and another man got out of a dark-coloured Jaguar which was stolen and had false registration plates.

The ride-out vehicle was later abandoned and set on fire in a failed bid to destroy evidence.

After the shooting, Ceesay had fled to The Gambia and was arrested upon his return to the UK on October 27 2021.

Some reporting by PA.