An electrical fault caused a blaze in a kitchen of a 12-storey building.

Five engines and around 35 firefighters tackled the blaze in Lebus Street, in Tottenham, just before 7.20pm on Wednesday (January 24). 

Part of a third-floor communal kitchen, in a block of 12 floors, was damaged by flames.

Around 200 people evacuated the building before the London Fire Brigade (LFB) arrived. 

The blaze was under control by 8.23pm.

An LFB spokesperson said: "The cause of the fire is believed to have been accidental, caused by an electrical fault in an extraction hood."

Firefighters from Tottenham, Walthamstow, Stoke Newington and surrounding fire stations attended the scene.