More than 500,000 mourners lined the streets of Tottenham to pay tribute to a 10-year-old boy and a police officer killed in a foiled robbery attempt.

The two deaths during a violent street chase may have taken place 100 years ago but Haringey Police still remember the events of that fateful day on January 23, 1909, which became known as the Tottenham Outrage.

On Friday borough commander Chief Superintendent Dave Grant unveiled a plaque in memory of police constable William Frederick Tyler, who was shot dead that day along with 10-year-old Ralph Joscelyne.

Armed robbers Paul Hefield and Jacob Lepidus shot dead two and injured many more while trying to escape after a wage's snatch from the Schnurrman's rubber factory next door to the police station in Tottenham High Road.

Hefield and Lepidus shot at the driver of the wages car and seized the cash bag before making off with their loot.

On hearing the commotion PC Tyler and two colleagues, all unarmed, jumped out of the ground-floor window at Tottenham police station and began the long chase which ended in Chingford with more than 400 rounds being fired.

Little Ralph Joscelyne was shot in Mitchley Road while taking cover behind the wages car as it pursued the suspects. PC Tyler caught up with Hefield and Lepidus at a railway bridge leading to Tottenham Marshes but was shot at point blank range.

The fugitives hijacked a tram, forcing the conductor to drive, as well as a milk van and greengrocer's cart to escape police.

Having to abandon the van and flee on foot, Hefield realised the game was up and shot himself in the head. He died in hospital three weeks later.

Lepidus continued to a nearby cottage in Chingford where he refused to give himself up and used his last bullet to kill himself.

The funerals of PC Tyler and Ralph were held together on Friday, January 29 with 3,000 policemen in procession and around 500,000 people lining the route to Abney Park Cemetery.

On Friday, 100 years on from their death, Haringey police officers and members of the community made the trip to the cemetery to pay their respects and unveiled a plaque at Tottenham police station.

Ch Supt Grant said: “It is important for Haringey and the rest of London to mark this incident which so rocked society 100 years ago.

"Just as today officers who patrolled the streets of the capital did so unarmed and with much courage.

"It was a tragedy that young Ralph Joscelyne was caught in the crossfire and that PC Tyler was finally shot down as he attempted to arrest the robbers.

"While much has clearly changed over the last 100 years, one thing has remained constant; police officers still put their lives on the line to protect the public and prevent crime.”